Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas light...

Just got home from church. It was a very different sort of Christmas service--it incorporated our "Jesse Tree," several paper mache characters that the youth group help create (they were beautiful), and a number of Scripture passages for different people in the congregation to read--not just the traditional passages either. Sandy did the music and did a great job--I really appreciated having a little break. I helped with some props and transitions, but I was able to watch the service and really take it all in. As I watched, I was struck with a fresh realization of what this season is actually about: God invading our world, actually becoming flesh and beginning the long, rich process of redeeming His people.
At one point in the service, Manheim Steamroller's "What Child is This?" played as the manger was set in place, a candle lit, and an ornament hung on the Jesse Tree. The music built up and everyone stood to watch the Baby Jesus carried down the aisle and gently placed in the manger. At the end of the service everyone gathered around the manger to share communion. It was beautiful.
It gives such meaning to the words "Abide in me as I abide in you..."

No comments: