Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Jesus for...."President"?

I just watched a video yesterday that helped me grapple with this book a little better. I found it on Krista Tippet's Speaking of Faith website. It's an interview she conducted at the National Pastor's Convention....with (get this) Chuck Colson, Greg Boyd, and Shane Claiborne.

When I first heard about this book, Jesus for President, I felt a tinge of...you know that "Eeeks!" feeling you get when you know something might really tick you or someone you know off? Yeah, that's the feeling. I didn't give it much thought. I just knew that a book with that title, coming out in an election year could, uh...raise some hair. At one point during the interview, Greg Boyd said something about the title of the book....Calling Jesus "Lord" really doesn't mean much anymore. We don't have any lords...not in the same way they did way back when. But when you call Jesus President, you start stepping on toes and getting a feel for what a touchy phrase "Jesus is Lord" would have been at the time.

Jesus for President! Commitment to Christ and his Way...placed before any social or political allegiance. It makes total sense. Sounds great. But put into practice, it will mean giving up some sacred cows.

Check out the interview and related resources here.

No comments: