Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"I....I...I...me...me...mine..."

"When you think or speak about yourself, when you say,'I,' what you usually refer to is "me and my story." This is the 'I' of your likes and dislikes, fears and desires, the 'I' that is never satisfied for long. It is a mind-made sense of who you are, conditioned by the past and seeking to find its fulfillment in the future."
~Eckhart Tolle

How often do I refer to myself in conversation? Which "me" am I talking about? The real me that finds its identity in Christ's call; or the me that is "never satisfied for long" and finds its identity in accomplishments?

I am more than my likes and dislikes, my fears and desires. These change. These come and go. I stay.

If the me with which I am most often identified is "conditioned by the past and seeking to find its fulfillment in the future," there's no resting in the present moment. This must truly please the devil. As C.S. Lewis so insightfully illustrated in Screwtape Letters, if this one thing can be accomplished - if people can be kept in past, future, anywhere but now - they can be kept from God. God is in the present moment.

No comments: