Monday, February 11, 2008

Irresistible Revolution (further thoughts)...

As I was reading further in Claiborne's book last night, I realized part of what is making me so uncomfortable with it. There are still things in it that I question...that need to be questioned, I think. But a large part of my discomfort is that I've settled into a different Gospel than the one Claiborne is living--and I'm starting to see that his is closer than mine to the Gospel Christ preashed and lived. He's presenting the Gospel in such a way...it's really, really different. Dangerious, I'd even say. It's not a comfortable message. It's not safe. It doesn't promise safety--physical or otherwise. And I'm beginning to think that it's more accurate to the Gospel Jesus preached and lived. But something in me doesn't want to look at it anymore. I like being comfortable. And safety is paramount. I can't even imagine knowingly making decisions that would really threaten my safety.
This Gospel is not comfortable and it's not safe, and I don't want to look at it. But something in me can't help but look at it. A tiny part of me wants it. A bigger part of me wants to be safe and comfy.
But the Gospel Jesus preached wasn't comfy or safe. It didn't lead Jesus to a safe place (naturally speaking). It lead Him to physical death, and He was ok with that. I see that trait in Claiborne's writings as well...and it irritates me! Because I'm not ok with it! I, like John Wesley earlier in his life, am afraid to die.
So...if I am to be perfectly honest, if the Gospel is a gospel that leads to death--I don't want it. That's my condition. It stinks. I know this. But I find myself unsure how to shake free of it.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds." (Romans 12:2)

It's a complete turn-around in my thinking. That is the only way that I can begin to step into the reality of the Gospel as Christ proclaimed and lived. And a thought revolution can only take place as my mind is bathed in the Word. As Dallas Willard has said, Scripture must become part of the "furniture of the mind." Scripture in all its truth, in its real meaning, no matter how much it offends my current thinking.

No comments: