Sunday, February 17, 2008

Oh, to will one thing...

Purity of heart is to will one thing.

To will one thing. At a social event last night, I was again reminded of the staggering potential I have for screwing up. Not so much in proper social interaction...as in being attentive to the present moment. Listening to the still small voice. I come away from social events so distracted. Torn. Willing many things. John Ortberg, in The Life You've Always Wanted, tells about a man who felt his life was without a lot of meaning. He said something like, "My life is about many things....thus is it about nothing." So many things I shoulda, woulda, coulda. One moment resting in the hand of His care, being present and attentive...the next moment giving myself over to whatever will get me something I haven't really thought about. Temporal. Ultimately useless.
The cure? To "be transformed by the renewing of your minds." A thought revolution. This comes about as I restrict what my mind is allowed to chew on. Rather, as I direct what my mind is given to think about. If I want to will one thing... I should be training my mind to stay on things that will lead to that "one thing." Scripture.

No comments: