Friday, February 29, 2008

New Eyes



I don't need new glasses.

I need new eyes.


There are two ways I can define LIFE:
1) in terms of the visual, material, physical world - the "seen," and
2) in terms of of the spiritual, non-physical world - the "unseen."

The view I take will determine what I consider to be my "needs" - the things for which a shepherd would provide. The view I take will make a world of difference (literally) in how I understand the promise in John 10:10 ("...I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." NRSV). Which viewpoint do I believe? Or maybe I should ask...Which viewpoint do I live?

"The Lord is my Shepherd..."
That means now. This moment. Each moment.
Yet so often "this moment" is spent feeling quite needy, worrying and trying to manage future moments.
When I am promised abundant life, I like to think I'm being assured abundance in the "seen" world. Of course, I wouldn't admit or perhaps even realize this initially.  But it's there, lurking under the surface.   I like to think he's promising material coverage. When life falls short of that lack-free standard, if I am honenst with myself and with God, I will question whether my "Shepherd" is really doing his job. If it even appears that my circumstances will not meet my expectations, my desires, I assume he must have overlooked something - and Supergirl (that would be, uh...me) steps in to "fix it"!

I need to see LIFE differently. I don't just need new glasses, though. I need new eyes. Restored vision.

See...there are real needs (these are what God sees, knows, and unfailingly provides for), and there are perceived needs (the ones I see and want fixed). The perceived needs never diminish in size or number--they are insatiable. I need new eyes. I need to see LIFE as God sees it.  Then I will find that "The Lord is my Shepherd" is not a promise yet to be fulfilled or occasionally fulfilled. Not "Sometimes he's my Shepherd," or "One day he'll be my Shepherd." The Lord is my Shepherd. It's fact. It's reality. Right now.

I need only the eyes to see it.
 

No comments: