Friday, March 07, 2008

Whew!

Well, well, well. A while back, I sent an email out to various contacts through the RRCA (where I work)...fishing for business, you might say. I said I was available to do simple design work (business cards and the like) for individuals, small businesses, and non-profits at an affordable price. About two weeks ago, I got a call from someone with the Ruidoso Chamber Music Festival about designing their 2008 brochure! Kind of a big deal, really, since they send their stuff out all over the country. Anyway...I met with them last week and they talked to me about what they had in mind. I worked on a layout and color scheme all this week and met with them again this afternoon to show them what I came up with. They loved it! Truly a relief because, to be honest, I'm not very confident in my design skills...yet.
So...they were very pleased, I'll be finishing it up this week and getting it ready to go to the printer. I'm not making much at it--but they're giving me some ad space in their program, so that'll help get the word out. Besides, it kinda feels good to do something for less than its really (by industry standards) worth...for an organization who really does need it.

Other happenings....let's see. My graduation "duds" have been ordered - I'm almost there! The certification classes with HWG-IWA are going well...I've completed two and will be starting three more on March 17. That will meet all the requirements for the first certificate....then I'll move on to the other two. I'm really hoping that these classes, combined with summer training at Lynda.com will prepare me to work from home come August.

The SOS Shoe Drive is coming along. Sandy (at the newspaper) has been sooooo helpful and supportive. I don't think anyone who picks up a local newspaper will be able to get away from it without learning about the drive. Praying for grace from God and favor with the community.

With all of this going on....it can be difficult to stay fully present to Now. But..."I am convinced that [the every-day happenings of life, my accomplishments/failures, and the dis/approval of others] nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (From Romans 8....my paraphrase, obviously).

No comments: