Thursday, March 27, 2008

For God alone my soul waits...



"For God alone my soul waits in silence..."





This business of waiting is intertwined with Jesus' words "Let your light shine before others." I am a light to the world only insofar as I am attentive to the Light within. That's what it is to wait "for God alone" in silence.


So I sit, stand, wait in His Light...and become filled with Light...to then be Light to the world around me. To go into the world, seeing it in a new way--through the sheen of His Light, causing it to be seen in a new way, and causing it to change--to be new in some small (yet somehow very great) way.



Jesus called us the Light of the world.


"...You are the One in charge and You have all the power; and the glory, too, is all Yours forever, which is just the way we want it." (from Dallas Willard's paraphrase of the Lord's Prayer)

YOU (being God) have ALL the power and ALL the glory. Which means that none of it is mine.

None of it is mine.

None of it is mine. No power, no glory.

I have no power, I have no glory. None of my own. It's all His. Yours, Abba.

This frees me from two things that plague me (though my guess is that I'm not alone in this):
1) Thinking I am/should be omnipotent. All powerful. That I can/must do everything. "Everything" includes controlling schedules and destinies (my own, of course, and others' if they'll let me!).
2)Trying to appear "glorious" to others -- opinion/impression management.
These are not what God created me to do or be. Meditating on the reality that He has ALL the power and glory...will gradually change deep-seated beliefs, and I will at last be free to live Life as God intended it. Waiting on Him. Walking with Him. Being filled with His Light.


What's your idea of a practicing Christian? I mean, what images come to mind when you hear the words "practicing Christian"? Be honest and attentive.

"A practicing Christian must above all be one who practices the perpetual return of the soul into the inner sanctuary, who brings the world into its Light and rejudges it, who brings the Light into the world with all its turmoil and its fitfullness and re-creates it..."
~Thomas Kelly

You are the Light of the world.

"Let your Light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your father in heaven."
~Jesus (in Matthew 5:16)

1 comment:

biblelucid said...

Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. You are the Light of the world. Amen!