Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Meet Momo


This is Momo. He is a common marmoset from Austria. We met in the March 2008 National Geographic. His diet consists of insects, spiders, small vertabrates, bird eggs, and tree sap--he spends some 30% of his time finding food. He's a fast runner, and excellent jumper, and will live up to 16 years. Momo learns by imitation--one of the most complex forms of learning. He also has a sense of 'object permanance' - knowing that something out of sight still exists. Interesting, yes?

What I find most interesting is that Momo and I have something in common (aside from the fact that science lumps us both into the 'primate' order). He learns by watching....and that requires varying degrees of attention. Momo's problem is that his short attention span prevents him from developing more complex behaviors.


Me too. As a Christ-follower, I am to learn by imitation. Devoting time and attention to watching him...and doing what he does. I don't seem to have a problem focusing intensively on class assignments, work projects, my schedule, finances, food, and other's opinions of me. But when it comes to devoting time and attention (beyond the daily 'quiet time') to Christ as Teacher and role model, I'm afraid I kick all too easily into Momo mode. Maybe you have this problem as well?
(Thank you Wikipedia and National Geographic for introducing me to the little guy.)

No comments: