Monday, September 22, 2008

Contemplative prayer is like....




Contemplative prayer beckons me to loosen my strangle-hold on life. It whispers of a freedom, intimacy and joy in life that I have only barely tasted – a life of seeing and knowing God and others for who they are, instead of what I demand them to be. This life is….(gulp) just over the cliff. All I have to do is let go. Let go of managing my schedule, my health, my friendships, my relationship with God. Letting go of the many words and feral thought-life that plague me. Simple, right?

The problem is that this “managed” life is sooooo real to me. Like the cliff. Rock solid and “safe.” I don’t know what’s over the cliff! I only know that it appears to be a very long way down. And what will happen to my tidy packaging of life if I take the leap? Over the cliff can be a frightening place.

But that is where the light shines. And in those moments of solitude and silent prayer…those times when the Jesus Prayer settles so sweetly in my heart and trickles into the air around me…those seconds when typing emails at work becomes a holy sacrament…that is when I know that in letting go, in putting my full weight into the fall, I’ll find a Hand. Simple, silent, and still. It catches me gently and there I am held above the raging waters, finally free to be my true self, to love others as they are, and to live intimately with my Abba.

So my grip loosens…my shoulders relax…and with Luther’s prayer (“I am Yours, save me!”) as my only remaining “defense,” my hands open and I’m falling.

Lord, free me from care for myself.

2 comments:

christianne said...

Barbara, this was so incredibly beautiful. Your image is SO AMAZING! I just took it all in for a while before I read your post, and you wouldn't believe the smile that spread so wide across my face. I love what you put into this, all the different elements of the image and all the symbolism there. (Can't wait to think more about the meaning of the clock and the birds -- I'm thinking, though, that the clock stands for something we "keep" if we stay on the cliff and don't jump up, losing all control.)

I can so relate to what you wrote here. That loss of control is terrifying. Thanks for the reminder that a Hand is there to catch us once we jump . . . why do we so easily forget (or doubt) the Hand?

Barbara said...

Thanks, Christianne...this has been so fun and helpful to work on. It's been great to read, write, and study all of this - but I think I'm much more visual than I realized! Coming up with a visual analogy has helped my thoughts to "gel."

I LOVE your analogy with Diva. I've been thinking about it off and on all day at work...