Friday, September 05, 2008

If I had a year to live...

Dr. Mojo (my professor) asked this question yesterday. It's been on my mind a lot.

If I had a year to live, I would...
-Stop comparing myself to others and instead ask How is God speaking to me through this person?...And worry much less about what people think of me...and more about other people and their needs.
-Talk less, listen more...attentively.
-Make (particularly family) relationships right before God.
-Spend a lot more time with God and with others - that whole being/doing thing again!
-Publish a kids' story that's been sitting on my desk for a couple years.
-Take dance lessons.
-Cancel my health insurance :)

It's hard to really put yourself in this frame of mind, you know? It shouldn't be, though...since life really is a fragile thing and every breath a gift. It should be near the surface of our awareness continually. Teach us, dear Lord, to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

3 comments:

MaryAnn Mease said...

Cancel my health insurance

bwahaha...and spend the money on something really fun and worthwhile, eh?

i would just hope i had good enough health for that year before i keeled over...ya know? but i guess you dont have that option...you get what you get and live it out with style and grace.

christianne said...

I love how you said you would talk less and listen more attentively. I stopped to think about that. I'm not sure if this was your own motivation for saying that, but I was thinking of how much of a gift that would be to offer to those around you. They would feel your presence with them as they shared themselves with you. They would feel like you were really "with" them. And I'm sure they would hold on to those memories, conversations, and feelings of being with you for dear life after you were gone.

This one really challenges me. Thanks for saying that.

As for the question itself, I need to spend more time actively thinking on it. But I love that you've been visiting it in your mind often. :)

Barbara said...

Health insurance - yeah, totally! For me that's like 100 bucks a month - that would support...five families in Kenya for a month!

Talking less, listening more - as a gift to others...I like that. I'll be honest, my motivation was more selfish...to ENJOY others and conversations more and think less about myself.
I'm glad Mojo asked this question. Now I only need a skull to set out on my desk at work!